The Consent Based Social Security Number Verification (CBSV) verifies that the SSN holder’s name, date of birth and SSN directly match the official governmental source records of the SSA Master File and Death Index. The CBSV is distinct from the SSN Trace product offering. Please note this verification requires written consent from your applicant. Important key details about the specific requirements are outlined below.
The CBSV is a pre-hire process. To maintain a nondiscriminatory hiring process, we recommend that you add CBSV as part of every applicants’ paperwork, but it's also possible to run this as an add-on service when the SSN Trace returns an error. CBSV mitigates risk from identity theft and fraud while showing an additional level of due diligence in your hiring process. With CBSV, you’ll know you’re moving ahead with a valid name, SSN and date of birth because they’ve been verified directly with the SSA’s records.
Social Security Administrations Master File and Death Index
- Applicant Information – Name and Date of Birth, SSN and written authorization
- Applicant AKA – Additional names that an applicant’s record might be filed under (maiden names, nicknames, etc.)
- Form SSA-89 completed by applicant with handwritten signature
The requirements for the SSA-89 Form are very strict. If any of the requirements are not met, the search will be rejected and a corrected form required. Common issues with the form to be aware of are as follows:
- Signature is not a wet/ink signature. The SSA will not accept a stamp signature, a signature using any application to digitally sign in any form (including mouse signature), etc. It must be an actual signature created with a pen.
- Any of the requested information is not included (date, city, state, zip, phone number, etc).
- Page #2 of the form is not included with the request.
- A customer uses an old SSA-89 Form with a previous vendor listed as the Company Agent.
The CBSV returns a match verification of “yes” (accurate match) or “no.” If the records show that the SSN holder is deceased, CBSV returns a “death” indicator. Hiring decisions should not solely be made based upon the results of this report. Consultation with qualified legal counsel is recommended for all employment matters.
Note: CBSV does not verify identity, citizenship, employment eligibility, nor does it interface with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) verification system. CBSV verifications do not satisfy DHS’s I-9 requirements. The SSA does not directly endorse any product or service.
For further details call us today at 1-877-360-4636